[NBLUG/talk] Advantages of Linux

John F. Kohler jkohler2 at earthlink.net
Mon May 5 19:52:00 PDT 2003

Edward,
I have been using Linux (Red Hat distro) since its version 5.2 came
out.  My sole purpose was to connect to a modem, start a browser and use
the internet.  From my first system, I could do that. I had no interest
in an office suite such as Microsoft Works, Apple Works, or Word
Perfect. But today, with my Red Hat version 9, I have the option of Open
Office.org which may work as well as the above.

Linux browsers are now Mozilla, Netscape, Galeon, and maybe others.  The
most convenient form for me is the "rpm" file which can be installed
with a simple text line, for example,

rpm -Uvh mozilla-1.2.i386.rpm

and a fully functioning browser is ready to run.  Macromedia Flash has a
linux version also in the "rpm" format  for the screensaver
"xscreensaver" a "tar" format is on the website where you find the
download, with instructions on how to (at the root level of operation)
unpack, compile, link edit and execute, in about 5 command-line operations.

I don't know anything about photo image software, cd rom "burning" or
other activities, since I have not tried them yet. Neither can I comment
on Debian,  Mandrake, SUSE, or the other distros  for Linux.

Sincerely,

John Kohler
Daly City, CA