[NBLUG/talk] The Advantages of Linux

Warren Raquel wraquel at jacobmarlie.com
Tue May 6 13:42:00 PDT 2003

Knoppix, put simply, rocks. I love it. I think it's a GREAT intro to
linux since you can run it from a CD and not blow away your Windoze
install. There aren't too many apps to overwhelm a person, but there is
enough to get your foot in the door. There are a few tools that allow
you to connect to your windows shares completely using the gui. There
are a lot of fun games installed with the distro as well. Installing it
on my hard drive is a little tricky right now but maybe I'll have more
luck tomorrow.

One other distro I'm mildy impressed with from an installation
standpoint is Slackware. Although it's not the point and click method
like RedHat and Mandrake it is simple. I haven't had a chance to play
with pkgtool yet but so far I'm impressed considering how far it has
come. (My last encounter with Slackware is v2). I wouldn't recommend
this distro to a newbie but probably for someone transitioning between
beginner and intermediate Linux user.

Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 08:00:28PM -0700, ME wrote:
>
>>Some have mentioned Knoppix (sp) which I think has a bootable CD
>>that you can use without destroying data on your Hard Disk. (try it out
>>without a full install, kind of option.)
>

> I haven't personally played with Knoppix much, but I've heard nothing but
> good things about it.  I also really liked DemoLinux when I played with it
> a year or so ago.  (It's the same concept: a bootable CD, rather than an
> installation dics.)

Warren Raquel
Chief Technical Officer
Jacob Marlie Financial, Inc.