[NBLUG/talk] Re: more advantages to Linux

Jim Bianchi jimbo at sonic.net
Wed May 7 18:57:01 PDT 2003

> From: "Edward Mendoza" <lorca at sonic.net>
> To: <talk at nblug.org>
> Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 19:23:49 -0700
> Subject: [NBLUG/talk] The Advantages of Linux
> I am new to this forum so I apologize ahead of time for asking a
> question to which the answer is obvious.

	Others have brought up some very good considerations with
reference to the differences between Windows and Linux. One that I've not
yet seen mentioned is the basic philosophy between them. I'm talking about
the BASIC philosophy, which allows (or from which flows) the rest of the
scheme -- such things as the selling (profit potential).

	It seems to me that Microsoft is attempting to treat computers as
if they are microwave ovens. In other words, as consumer items that can be
purchased, plugged in, and used. Bing.

	You buy a microwave oven, plug it in, select a bag of instant
popcorn that can be cooked in a microwave, pop it in, turn the thing on,
and stand well back. Bing.

	You buy a computer, plug it in, the monitor lights up saying,
"installing Windows<something>" Everything is determined for you. There is
no way to diddle the defaults. All you can do is keep hitting the <ret>
key when asked. Want to add a new piece of equip? Assuming its one that
Windows supports, you plug it in, hook up the cables, and reboot. The o/s
scans for all peripherals, finds the new one and assigns what Bill Gates
and associates thinks is what defaults you will want. Bing.

	In other words, Windows seems to assume everyone approves of its
choices, it caters to a lowest common denominator. Ok, so do most general
interest magazines, automobile factories, television stations, and so on.
But, Microsoft seems to be doing everything in software. Again, no biggie,
really. Except that, in doing so, it affects the manufacturing processes.
For instance, try to buy an internal modem that is NOT a 'winmodem.' It
can be done, but it's not as easy as once it was. The drivers that allow
this unit to operate are proprietary and mondo difficult to duplicate or
reverse engineer. And natch, the mftrs will not (in many cases) release
details of construction so drivers for other operating systems can be
coded.

	You can't go in and diddle things, even if you knew what you
wanted and had the savvy to do so, because the tools to adjust things on
closed source software simply do not exist.

	How this relates is that windows seems to be trying to get to a
place where one size fits all. Sorta like baseball caps.

	Now I can only speak for myself, but I really resent being treated
as if I were the same as Joe Sixpack, having to put up with defaults that
someone else 'has determined' is what I need.

	Linux is the opposite. Oh, the setup and installation is getting
more windowslike all the time in that (in many cases) it assumes defaults
for you, but if something displeases you, you can easily go in and change
it. Even if you are not any sort of Linux guru. (I know -- but enough of
that.)

	Some people prefer Debian, others swear by Red Hat, while
Slackware has many fans. SuSE, Mandrake, Ydraggsil, whatever, they all are
basically the same. ls -alrt does the same thing in all of them. (Now if
I could only figure out what it was -- but enough of that.)

--
jimbo at sonic.net       Jim Bianchi   Santa Rosa   California

        Eclectic Garbanzo BBS ** (707) 539-1279 ** 28.8kbps

	Remember Flight 93 -- "Let's roll!"