[NBLUG/talk] I'm Going To Switch To Linux

Paul Larkin larkin at jps.net
Wed May 7 22:22:00 PDT 2003

Since you've obviously found the list, you must be aware of the
monthly meeting. Why not go to one, the next one being next Tues.,
introduce yourself & get a lot more opinions?  I don't think at all
of the playstation 2 but that's the topic this month.  June's appears
to tentatively be the Linux kernel [& how to not split infinitives] &
I hope I get to that one.

On 5/7/03, Edward Mendoza wrote:
>I'm about to buy a new computer and I have decided to start using the Linux
>OS for the first time ever. Thank you all for answering my stupid questions.
>I have never used Linux before so this is somewhat exciting. I just hope I
>don't find myself entangled in some spider's web that I can't get out of.
>
>I would like some advice on which version of Linux I should use since I am a
>first time user. I have already gotten some feedback from you and it looks
>like the there is a slight nudge for me to take the plunge with Lindows but
>I have also been told that it doesn't really matter.
>
>Second, I would like some advice on whether or not Dell desktops are
>adequate or ideal machines for a Linux OS and which of the following two
>Dells I should get: the Dimension 8300 or the Dimension XPS.
>
>The specs on the Dimension XPS:
>Intel Pentium 4 processor at 3GHz w 800MHz FSB
>512MB Dual Channel DDR SDRAM at 400MHz
>16X DVD ROM Drive
>120GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive
>NEW 128MB ATI RADEON