[NBLUG/talk] Advice for prospective Linux lap-topper?

ME dugan at passwall.com
Thu May 8 15:42:00 PDT 2003

> On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 03:02:26PM -0700, Jeffrey Miller wrote:
>> Dear NBLUGers (especially Linux laptop users),
>>
>> I'm headed to a programmers' conference in late June and I thought it
>> might
>> be time to get a laptop so I can "play along".  Of course, if this one
>> is
>> going to be my own, I would like to be able to run Linux on it, as well
>> as
>> Windows (for work-related purposes and some games, and a few random USB
>> devices like a digital camera).
>>
> [snip]
>> Does anyone have any general thoughts, suggestions, or pointers for
>> where I
>> should be looking?
>
> If you are willing to do the install yourself, I could check
> http://linux-laptop.net and see what laptops people have been successful
> with.
>
> Depending on what kind of laptop you need, I've been very happy with my
> Fujitsu P series computer, and on my website I even go over how to set up
> Linux on it.
>
> Alternatively, I've found that IBM laptops seem to support Linux very
> well,
> Toshibas are probably second on that list and that Dells seem to work okay
> too.

Count me as a "me too" for IBM, Dell and Fujitsu, but "don't know" on
Toshiba. Dell and IBM have provided help to coders to get special laptop
functions to work in Linux. Early ThinkPads had "thinkpad software" to run
in Linux to permit Linux users to have access to the same items as Windows
users with the "Thinkpad Utilities". As for Dell Laptops, there is a
package with the "i8 utilities for Latitude and inspiron laptops" that
permits you to have access to things like CPU temperature, control fan,
set buttons/control,etc.

On my Dell Latitude, I have just about everything working as it should. I
just tested out my "LinModem" drivers for the modem that was shipped with
the box, and though I can issue commands and see them work, the modem
can't yet dial out. I'll fix that later.

I had an older IBM ThinkPad 560, and it is still running Linux..

Check with linux-laptops.net (as suggested by Kyle) and pay special
attention to what other users of the model laptop you wish to buy have
said about it - like what does not work.

-ME