[NBLUG/talk] Linux and new Dells (video and NIC workarounds)

Dave Sisley dsisley at arczip.com
Thu May 8 19:54:00 PDT 2003

Robert Hayes wrote:
> I've been watching with interest the posting about advantages to linux, and
> noted that a few people mentioned they were going to join us chosen (choosy?)
> few and run linux. as soon as they got new machines.
>
> I just bought a Dell Dimension 2350 and -- I really should know better --
> just figured it would run linux out of the box. I really do know better.
>
> Of course, it doesn't. So I thought I'd share the why's and solutions.
> You will require a 2.4.x kernel.
>
> The two big deals that are mentioned around the web are the video chipset and
> the integrated NIC. Neither will work with linux without some work.
>
> Video:
> The video is an integrated Intel chipset. On my Dimension 2350 it's an i845.
> Trying to load Debian 3.0r1 from iso images failed to launch X, although the
> Knoppix 3.1 01-20-03 CD launched X both as a boot CD and as an installation
> to the HDD. However, once you log off the desktop, X fails and won't restart.
>
> Mandrake 9.0 failed X straight away.
>
> RedHat 9 (just hit me now) found the chipset, configured it and ran fine as
> far as X is unconcerned. Unfortunately, the rpm package manager and
> everything else I know from running 7.2 for a year + is gone, and all the
> gui's look like the same bastard child from a parentage of Redmond and
> Cupertino.
>
> In researching the video problem, I found the following link:
>
> http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Detail_Desc.asp?agr=N&ProductID=922&DwnldID=5117

Robert:

I also just bought a new Dell 2350, and can perhaps add a bit to your
video info.  I loaded the new box with RH8 and was having trouble with
the video. The graphics would occasionally be scrambled (it looked like
a visual 'stutter'). I saved some $$ by using my old monitor, and I
thought that that was my problem.  I mentioned it to someone (I
apologize, because I forgot who clued me in -- Kyle, I think?) and they
pointed out that RH does not actually include the best driver for the
Dell video card.  It was suggested I go to Dell and download their
driver.  I did and now my monitor looks great.

So the moral is to check and see if perhaps the manufacturer's driver
doesn't work better than the ones sent with the distro.
--
Dave Sisley
dsisley at arczip.com
http://users.arczip.com/habsmoi