[NBLUG/talk] What is the diff

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Fri May 9 15:09:00 PDT 2003

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 02:56:24PM -0700, Jim Bianchi wrote:
> 	Aside from price, what is the difference between RH 9.0 and RH 9.0
> Personal Edition and RH 9.0 Professional Edition (as found on the
> cheapbytes site)?

One CD...

I don't know the cheapbytes version of things.

Current RedHat offerings are:
Red Hat Linux 9
Red Hat Linux 9 Professional (9 + multimedia applications CD, 60 days phone
                              support, 60d web support and 60d basic redhat
                              network subscription)
Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS
Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES
Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS

(the 3 enterprise editions have significantly longer lifespans, higher
levels of support, more enterprise applications included, etc.  WS is
workstation, ES is for servers up to 2 CPUs and AS is for giant
servers.  They also have AS and WS for ia64.  This is the line that they get
certified on various hardware.  I believe the current offerings are,
essentially, based on the RH 7.x setup)

In other words: the core of the various RH9 offerings are the same.  If you
want some extra applications or actual support, you may want to give them
more money.  Personally, I found all the extra applications I needed right
here: http://shrike.freshrpms.net/
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder & Vice-President Pro Tempore