[NBLUG/talk] Use of Linux w/o an Office Suite?

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Thu May 15 22:29:01 PDT 2003

On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 08:18:36PM -0700, Edward Mendoza wrote:

> What are the uses of Linux if it doesn't have business applications or an
> office suite?

Hehe, I rarely use 'office' software.  I use it on my desktop for:

  * software development
  * playing games
  * web browsing
  * realtime chat
  * e-mail
  * connecting to webservers to update stuff & administrate
  * photo scanning
  * digital photography editing
  * drawing & other graphics composition
  * listening to MP3s, streaming radio & other music file formats

... so pretty day-to-day stuff.  And when I _do_ need to write a text
document (letter, resume, make a poster or flyer, etc.), I can use
KWord or OpenOffice.org Writer.

When I was at Worldcom (now MCI), I was using Linux to help design and
maintain some documents that were generated on-the-fly (PDFs) on a website.
(A project for an entire east-coast-state's fish and game project.)

My ISP runs Linux, and one of my websites is on their server,
so I use Apache there, indirectly.  For the most part, I do simple stuff
in PHP.  I'm starting to do a little using MySQL databases (to speed up one
the search engine site I wrote.)

I also have a separate webserver running on a colocated box at my ISP.
It's an old little Cobalt RaQ server (which runs Linux), so there I use
Apache directly (e.g., I can administrate it).

You need to talk to Paul Miller.  He was at the Government Technology Conference
in Sacramento today at LUGOD's booth (and will be tomorrow (Friday)),
pimping OpenOffice.org. ;^) ;^)

-bill!
pr at lugod.org
http://www.lugod.org/