[NBLUG/talk] Use of Linux w/o an Office Suite?

ME dugan at passwall.com
Fri May 16 19:52:01 PDT 2003

Actually, I think they have them on the 2nd floor near the media desk, and
on the 3rd floor. Thee are very simplified systems without any drives.
(There is not Hard Disk, or floppy disk - they actually "boot" from the
network. These Linux boxes for users are only meant to be used for web
browsing and searching the catalog. They are replacements for the oilder
terminals we had in the library. (Each cost about $600 with the monitor
included.)

They "boot" from the network by booting from a Linux Server that hands
each one a network mount volume. (There is more to it than that:
dhcp/bootp -> tftp kernel -> boot with NFS root.)

-ME