[NBLUG/talk] Invention of the Unary Number System

Andru Luvisi luvisi at andru.sonoma.edu
Mon May 19 14:29:01 PDT 2003

On Mon, 19 May 2003, Steve Zimmerman wrote:
> 0	.... "1"
> 00	.... "2"
> 000	.... "3"
> 0000 	.... "4"
> 00000	.... "5"
> etc.
> : -)

So if I wanted to send you the number "1", then the number "2", and then
the number "3", how would I encode that?

Unary:     000000
Decimal:   123
Or is it:  321
or maybe:  213
How about: 6

In order for this to work, you need a way to signal the end of a number
and the start of the next one.  I could, for example, write it "0 00 000",
but then I am using a zero and a space (binary).

Andru
--
Andru Luvisi, Programmer/Analyst

Quote Of The Moment:
  ( Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound. )