[NBLUG/talk] linking oracle to java

ME dugan at passwall.com
Fri May 23 21:31:02 PDT 2003

> I tried the -s earlier today and it didn't work.  This time I did it
> again, rebooted, and then it worked.  So did I have it right the first
> time and just needed to reboot?
>
> Thank you for the quick responses.

When you made the symlink with -s, the link itself should have worked (if
done properly)) such that the file pointed to by the link could be read by
reading the symlink.

However, if "it didn't work" meant that the Oracle with Java did not work
(but the link did) then that is a different problem. There are 2 likely
reasons for a reboot to make the symlink appear to fix the problems:

1) The link pointed to shared libs/includes that were loaded with ldconfig
for aps to resolve deps
2) The Oracle/Java Services may have started-up with a non-existent
symlink file, and this caused it to error out. Assuming it actually
started, it may have started with "bad settings."

In the case with #1, running ldconfig can help. (Sometimes logging out and
back in again to get a different PATH if the installer modified your PATH
can be of help too.)

In case #2, just stopping and starting the services that were having
problems can cause them to use the new file/symlink settings.

HTH,
-ME