[NBLUG/talk] If you love him/it so much, then defend him/it.

ME dugan at passwall.com
Sun May 25 11:20:03 PDT 2003

Edward Mendoza wrote:
> Is Java a language that is better at abstraction than C++ but is also
> slower
> than C++?

Hm. Tough question. Break it down to two parts:
> Is Java a language that is better at abstraction than C++?

"Better" is a subjective evaluation. I know more people who would agree
with this than would disagree. Does that help?

> Is Java a language that is slower than C++?

Yep, from my experience, Java is slower and more memory aggressive than C++.

At present, Java often runs on a Java Virtual Machine/JIT. Part of the
difference in speed may have to do with using a virtual machine within a
real machine.

-ME