[NBLUG/talk] Newbie and grub>

William L. Thomson Jr. support at obsidian-studios.com
Sun May 25 12:08:00 PDT 2003

Jennifer,

On Sun, 2003-05-25 at 01:19, Jennifer Tracy wrote:

> At the end of the install I had the system reboot and now I an in grub> land
> and NOT happy about it.

It's just growing pains.

> I managed to get it to boot into Windows with the chainloader, but I cannot
> figure out how to get my kernel loaded so that I can boot into linux.

What order did you install the OS? Was Grub and a kernel not configured
after install of RH 9?

> I have tried the following:
>
> grub> kernel /vmlinux-2.4.20-8 (and variations there of)
>
> and I get the following error:
>
> Error 18: Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by BIOS
>
> Any help is appreciated.

Here is what you want

root (hd0,0)

Where HD0,0 is the first drive, and first partition on that drive.

Then

kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-13 ro root=/dev/hda6

Where /dev/hda6 is my root / partition.

If you need a initial ram disk image

Then

initrd /initrd-2.4.20-13.img

So all together they would be

root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-13 ro root=/dev/hda6
initrd /initrd-2.4.20-13.img

Most of the time the last line is not needed.

Let me know if you have any questions with regard to the config file,
grub.conf.

--
Sincerely,
William L. Thomson Jr.