[NBLUG/talk] RH Linux 9.0 & Windows

frankb at efball.com frankb at efball.com
Sun May 25 22:20:03 PDT 2003

On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 09:20:19PM -0700, HarryH wrote:

} I am new to you group.  I have Windows Server and Advanced Server
} installed on one of my machines and have enough partition space to add
} RH Linux 9.0 on the same HD.  How much space does RH (server version)
} need for binaries, no source or games - I plan to use RHN to load up on
} what my 3 CDs do not have?

RedHat takes a boatload of space (compared to Debian).  If you want a
pretty complete install, and then you need a good amount of extra space
for doing upgrades, so figure 4GB or more + your personal files.  More
if you have the disk space available.

} should I use GRUB or LILO in the
} RH install?  What other problems will I need to be aware of?

For most systems either one works.  I have one oddball machine with one
SCSI drive and one IDE drive.  It needs to boot from the SCSI drive and
GRUB just couldn't do it, LILO works great.  GRUB is a little prettier.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com