[NBLUG/talk] Modems and other parts..

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Tue May 27 08:07:01 PDT 2003

On Tuesday 27 May 2003 07:12, Nadina wrote:
> Well - how's this for embarassing - I thought that my modem was PCI (going
> from memory), but when I finally decided to take a good look at it, I
> discover that it's an ISA card.  Oops.  I still can't find much about the
> model (Zoom Faxmodem 2929) and I found an internal hard modem that looks
> like it will work.

Welcome to Linux!!!!  To help you on your journey a HOWTO for modems, and some
packages/programs that will help you along the way.  Just remember Linux is
not a destination..... it is a long long journey.

Zoom 2929 56K Dualmode Data/Fax ISA PnP

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/3206/6/

Name        : isapnptools                  Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 1.22                              Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 5                             Build Date: Sun 24 Jun 2001
07:51:48 PM PDT
Install Date: Tue 23 Oct 2001 08:49:25 PM PDT      Build Host:
porky.devel.redhat.com
Group       : System Environment/Base       Source RPM:
isapnptools-1.22-5.src.rpm
Size        : 423470                           License: GPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Fri 07 Sep 2001 09:21:15 AM PDT, Key ID
219180cddb42a60e
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
Summary     : Utilities for configuring ISA Plug-and-Play (PnP) devices.
Description :
The isapnptools package contains utilities for configuring ISA
Plug-and-Play (PnP) cards which are in compliance with the PnP ISA
Specification Version 1.0a.  ISA PnP cards use registers instead of
jumpers for setting the board address and interrupt assignments.  The
cards also contain descriptions of the resources which need to be
allocated.  The BIOS on your system, or isapnptools, uses a protocol
described in the specification to find all of the PnP boards and
allocate the resources so that none of them conflict.

Note that the BIOS doesn't do a very good job of allocating resources.
So isapnptools is suitable for all systems, whether or not they
include a PnP BIOS. In fact, a PnP BIOS adds some complications.  A
PnP BIOS may already activate some cards so that the drivers can find
them.  Then these tools can unconfigure them or change their settings,
causing all sorts of nasty effects. If you have PnP network cards that
already work, you should read through the documentation files very
carefully before you use isapnptools.

Install isapnptools if you need utilities for configuring ISA PnP
cards.

Name        : modemtool                    Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 1.22                              Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 3                             Build Date: Wed 28 Feb 2001
07:33:08 AM PST
Install Date: Thu 03 May 2001 08:54:54 PM PDT      Build Host:
porky.devel.redhat.com
Group       : Applications/System           Source RPM:
modemtool-1.22-3.src.rpm
Size        : 16480                            License: GPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Sun 08 Apr 2001 02:38:24 PM PDT, Key ID
219180cddb42a60e
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
Summary     : A tool for selecting the serial port your modem is connected to.
Description :
The modemtool is a simple graphical configuration tool for selecting
the serial port to which your modem is connected.

Install modemtool if you use a modem.

Name        : wvdial                       Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 1.53                              Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 9                             Build Date: Sat 25 Jan 2003
12:25:55 AM PST
Install Date: Tue 01 Apr 2003 12:06:59 PM PST      Build Host:
porky.devel.redhat.com
Group       : System Environment/Daemons    Source RPM: wvdial-1.53-9.src.rpm
Size        : 181603                           License: LGPL
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Sun 23 Feb 2003 09:37:00 PM PST, Key ID
219180cddb42a60e
Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
URL         : http://open.nit.ca/wvdial/
Summary     : A heuristic autodialer for PPP connections.
Description :
WvDial automatically locates and configures modems and can log into
almost any ISP's server without special configuration. You need to
input the username, password, and phone number, and then WvDial will
negotiate the PPP connection using any mechanism needed.

--
Mark Street, D.C.
Red Hat Certified Engineer