[NBLUG/talk] linux distro

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Wed May 28 17:02:00 PDT 2003

For someone starting out I would say Slackware.

Why....?  Because I believe it reveals Linux in its most pure form.  Because
most of the popular distros out there any chimp could put the CD in and press
the button and install the OS.  This is not what learning  Linux is about.
It is about struggle and failure and success followed by exhilaration,
freedom and mastery.  It is that sticktoitiveness, adaptation and
inquisitiveness that sets one apart from the chimp....  How much of our DNA
do we share with the chimp?? 98%+ or so?

All the Linux distros and like cars, some look a little different in the
package and installer but they all have 4 wheels, a motor and a drive train
that you need to understand to make them run smoothly.

If you are just looking for an easy 'install'... unlocking the door, sitting
in the seat, putting the key in, starting the motor and puttin her in drive;

1.  Mandrake
2.  Red Hat
3.  SuSE
4.  Lycoris