OT: YUM was Re: [NBLUG/talk] linux distro

Warren Raquel wraquel at jacobmarlie.com
Thu May 29 09:39:00 PDT 2003

YUM can be used as an autoupdater as well as at the command line. I like
that you can tell it to install an obscure library file and it will find
the package that the file is in, install it and all its dependencies.
I'm not sure about a gui interface for YUM, though. I just recently
downloaded a SuSE 8.2 mirror so I'm going to try and install it when I
get to work today. From what you say I like that YaST is so complete and
comes with the base install. It sounds like to get the same
functionality from the other distros you have to install other tools not
in the base install, at least that has been my experience in the past.
For redhat I have to install apt-get to get dependency files to be
automatically detected and downloaded (does RedHat have something for
this yet?). Mandrake is pretty cool with urpmi, it runs kinda like
apt-get, I haven't really taken it for a full test drive yet, anyone
else care to give a head-to-head run down? I've been playing with Gentoo
recently and I like that you can emerge a package and all the
dependencies get downloaded and compiled (nothing is precompiled). My
problem with Gentoo is that I can't figure out a way to see what
programs are already installed and while files were installed with a
package, anyone got any tips? Well, I have a ton more questions but I'll
save them for a different email when I have more time.