[NBLUG/talk] Red Hat go bye bye

Walter Hansen gandalf at sonic.net
Wed Nov 5 14:39:00 PST 2003

Ok. Red Hat Enterprise is not a valid solution to my Linux needs as I
suspect it will not be for many of the people on this list. I even emailed
sonic support and they may be looking into Debian.

So obviously, except for my RH7.3 machine that is going to stay that way,
I'm wondering what might be good migration options. I know that there is
another distrubution that uses rpm files (I like em, but can do without
them). Also there is this Fudora, which I know next to nothing about, even
after going over the web page. Is it going to be a less well supported
version of RH?

I know that service scripts are handled differently amongst the
distrbutions and admit I am fond of the RH style "service start xfs" etc.

Anyhow I thought this might be a good time for those wiser in the ways of
the force (er, linux) to lend their input to the less fortunates. Are
there other distrubutions that have an update service or program? What are
the pros and cons of the varrious distrubutions?

I'm sure there will be much chatting about this at the next meeting.

                                     Walter Hansen

                      -hey where'd that rug that was under me go?