[NBLUG/talk] (no subject)

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Fri Nov 7 15:11:01 PST 2003

On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 03:05:45PM -0800, Meg Holden wrote:
> Hi Everybody,
> I'm very new to Linux, I just installed Redhat 9 on my by second
> partition to dual boot with Windows XP Pro.  Everything seems to be
> working fine except when I shunt Redhat down, after it says "Haulting
> System", it starts scrolling stuff on the screen, it scrolling faster
> than I can really see what it says, but it looks like just a bunch of
> addresses, and will keep doing that until I turn the computer off.  Any
> suggestions of what this is and how to fix it?
>
> Thanks
> Meg

Hi Meg, welcome,

It sounds like the kernel that Redhat 9 is using there doesn't fully
support the power management on your machine.  After it says "Halting
System" the next step is for it to try to turn your machine off for you
using APM or ACPI calls.  For some reason it doesn't fully support your
motherboard so you get error messages instead.

I've seen this myself on various systems.  I don't think it harms anything,
perhaps if there is a newer kernel rpm for Redhat 9 you can grab, it might
have better support for your machine.

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President