[NBLUG/talk] Open Source and .Net

Cameron Tully-Smith lpstudy at sonic.net
Sun Nov 9 22:09:00 PST 2003

David Stutz, former MS software person who worked on the .Net Framework,
resigned.  Info below (his open letter is at
http://www.synthesist.net/writing/onleavingms.html ):

 From http://www.oetrends.com/cgi-bin/page_display.cgi?194

OET: You captured quite a lot of developer attention with your Open Letter
to Microsoft (
In your "Open Letter," you said: "To avoid dire consequences, Microsoft
should favor an approach that tolerates and embraces the diversity of the
Open Source approach, especially when network-based integration is
involved. " Do you see any signs of hope, including the CLI, that Microsoft
has such projects or perspectives in play now, even after you've left?

Stutz: Absolutely. I see a lot of hope. Microsoft just needs to come to
grips with the fact that Open Source software is a part of the landscape
now, and won't be going away. Every project group at Microsoft should think
carefully about using Open Source as an advantage, rather than trying to
defend against it. Different groups will come up with different solutions,
but I have no doubt that Microsoft will both learn from the Open Source
community and contribute its own expertise and code, when appropriate.

lpstudy at sonic.net