[NBLUG/talk] Samba solutions

Bob Blick bobblick at covad.net
Tue Nov 18 11:29:00 PST 2003

Fixed. Two problems:

1) Username mapping is not unixuser = winuser. It is unixuser = winmachine.

I had to change the entry in smbusers to read:
bob = ASTG300 instead of bob = bob

Documentation contradicts this! I seem to recall being bitten by this one
before.

At this point I could use shares if I knew they existed and called them by
IP address. Still no listing in Explorer or LinNeighborhood though.

2) Netmask was 255.255.0.0 on the new linux machine, instead of
255.255.255.0 like the rest of the network.

This is the first time I've ever had a problem with netmasks breaking
something in this way.

Fixing that made shares show in Explorer and machine names work.

Cheerful regards,

Bob