[NBLUG/talk] The Open CD Project - Very Nice!

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Sat Nov 22 09:50:03 PST 2003

This looks like a really good thing...
http://theopencd.sunsite.dk/index.php

I burned the new 1.2 ISO and took a peek on an XP box.  Really nice piece of
work showcasing the capabilities of OSS and examples of migration apps away
from doze.

The Open CD project
There is a staggering number of OSS projects out there. A typical source
(Freshmeat) lists over 30.000 projects. There are also a vast number of
Shareware and Freeware programs available that you can freely download from
the net. However these do not qualify as OSS, because you do not have the
right to modify the underlying source code. Usually you are not even able to
inspect the source code, and often restrictions are placed your use of the
program, such as non-commercial use only.
    Enter TheOpenCD project. We have made a small collection of only the
highest quality OSS for Windows, easily available on a CD. When you insert
the disc into your computer it automatically launches a browser which will
guide you through the contents of the disc, presenting the various programs,
and allow you to easily install them. The programs are carefully selected to
ensure stability, ease of use and a clean install and un-install from your
computer. This CD is intended as a first introduction to the world of OSS,
but it is our hope that you will later go on to explore other projects, and
at some stage you may even want to try a whole new operating system such as
Linux. In the Further Resource section of this disc we provide a list of
other major OSS projects with links to their web pages. There is also a
selection of essays about Open Source which should give you some more insight
into the history and philosophy of OSS.

--
Mark Street, D.C.
Red Hat Certified Engineer