[NBLUG/talk] Installing an Ultra ATA/133 PCI card on Debian

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 28 19:20:03 PST 2003

I just got a new hard drive and Maxtor UATA/133 PCI card.  I just
plugged the card into by Debian box (formerly a RedHat box).  When I
turned the computer back on, the card flashed a message on the screen
and searched for devices (I haven't installed the hard disk yet).
However, when Debian started up, I looked around in /proc/ide and cannot
find anything to indicate that there are any new IDE interfaces.

I also tried running "lspci".  It indicates that it can detect a new
card, but it cannot identify the card.  Looking inside the box, I am
sure that this unidentified card is the ATA card.

There is a chance that this ATA card is unsupported on Linux (I could
not get a straight answer when I bought it), but I can return it if I am
sure that I cannot make it work.  It seems odd, however, than any recent
ATA card would be so non-compliant with the standards that it would not
work with the generic IDE drivers in the Linux kernel.  And yet such
things do exist.

So, how do I set up an ATA card on Debian?  Or how do I prove that it is
incompatible with Linux?  I'm running stable (woody) with no packages
from "unstable" or anywhere else.