[NBLUG/talk] Mounting a new HD

Mark Greeott mark at greeott.com
Sat Nov 29 11:30:04 PST 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-29 at 10:32, Todd Cary wrote:
> Mark -
>
> Many thanks!  With the encouragement of  Troy, I used fdisk to partition
> hdd and then I used mount without the Type.  Throughout all of this, I
> was wondering how/where one formats the disk.  Now I have the answer to
> that.

Todd, glad to be of assistance and kudos for mucking your way through
fdisk!! In the future keep parted in mind. It's more user friendly and
powerful (you can even resize an existing partition with it).

> One reality check.  I have Linux Complete and Red hat Linux 4.0 books
> and both of them assume one is installing Red hat and using Disk Druid
> (or fdisk to partition).  I do not see any mention of formatting a HD
> (Floppy, yes).  Did I miss something here?

Hmm, maybe grab yourself a more current book. O'reilly has quite a few
to choose from like "running linux" and my favorite "linux in a
nutshell" Also, the internet is obviously a good choice.

> And in the GUI (GNOME) for Fedora I do not see anything about using a
> GUI tool.  Hardware Browser shows the HD, but there are no other
> options; Disk Management only shows the Floppy and CD.
>
> Not being a Unix/Linux guru, my hope is for Linux desktop to become some
> real competition for Windows.  As I have indicated in other postings, I
> LOVE IT.  Get it running and you just about can forget about it.
> However, there is still room for putting a "pretty wrapper" around it.

Agreed, definitely room for improvement from a "desktop" standpoint.
However, for me, I just started using it everyday (about 2 years ago)
and found that was the best way to learn. I still have a long way to go
though :-)