[NBLUG/talk] VNC on Linux

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Thu Oct 2 13:29:01 PDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 12:42:30PM -0700, derf wrote:
}
} Quick question about VNC while we're on the subject - has it gotten any
} faster? The last time I used it was admittedly several years ago, and the
} reaction time didn't compare to say, Win2k Terminal Services. Luckily, given
} that I deal exclusively with Linux machines these days, I don't have to
} actually view desktops very often - but I am curious as to the state of the
} art..

TightVNC (tightvnc.org) is optimized to be faster for slow network
connections.

VNC from a unix server always seemed fine, it's the windows server
that's sluggish. Since newer PCs are faster it's not so much of an
issue anymore, but my 800MHz/256MB Windows 2000 machine is still not as
snappy thru VNC as it is natively.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com