[NBLUG/talk] Enlightenment on Redhat 9

Daniel Kinon kinon at SONOMA.EDU
Fri Oct 3 01:25:01 PDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-03 at 01:02, Kyle Rankin wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 03, 2003 at 12:46:02AM -0700, Daniel Kinon wrote:
> > Hey Guys,
> > 	I've been trying for the last couple of days to install the
> > enlightenment window manager rpm on my Redhat 9 box.  What I thought was
> > progress turned out to be a dead end, is there any help you can offer?
> > Anyone who has actually tried this maybe?
> >
> > According to documentation at
> > http://www.enlightenment.org/pages/download.html
> >
> > Enlightenment 0.16.5-1 requires IMLIB v1.9.14
> > 	IMLIB in turn requires certain versions of graphic processing packages,
> > GTK+ and Glib.  I checked using 'rpm -qa' for all of these prerequisites
> > and it showed that I had atleast the required version if not better.
> > The only descrepency that my rpm query pulled up was my version of IMLIB
> > which is 1.9.13-12.  I checked with Ximian Red-Carpet but it doesn't
> > look like a newer version of IMLIB is available.
> > 	I then went searching for an rpm on the internet but as of yet have
> > been able to find no rpms, just tarballs.  At this point I just gave up,
> > downloaded a tarball and compiled and installed it.  This seemed to
> > appease the rpm install.
> >
> > 	The next requirement was FNLIB 0.5 which doesn't seem to be available
> > in rpm form so I downloaded the tarball and installed that.  However,
> > after doing so, the enlightenment rpm still complained about not being
> > able to find FNLIB.  The only other requirement is FreeType 1.3.1 which
> > I have, so that souldn't be a problem.  But after all this I don't know
> > what to do.  Any ideas?
> >
> > -Sorry for the lengthy explanation but I figured the whole story would
> > answer alot of easily answered questions.
> >
> > -Dan
> >

> There's a long soap-opera-esque past with regards to RedHat and
> enlightenment's relationship, but suffice to say that I'm not surprised
> that it isn't easy to get it set up on Redhat 9.
>
> That aside, there is still development going on (at a snail's pace) for
> enlightenment, even the E16 version that ou would want.  You can grab any
> rpms or source you would need here:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2
>
> This page also includes the fnlib 0.5 rpm and should have any other files
> you might need.

Hey Kyle,
	Thanks for your quick response.  Imade a mistake in my first e-mail I
think.  I said that installing the IMLIB tarball worked, well it
evidently didn't.  I installed that FNLIB rpm and it worked great, no
errors for FNLIB but now I'm getting this error:

[root at quantum enlightenment]# rpm -ivh enlightenment-0.16.5-1.i386.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
        libImlib.so.1 is needed by enlightenment-0.16.5-1

Any ideas on how to fix this one?  I noticed that the site you gave me
only has IMLIB2 on it, no of any IMLIB 1.9.14 rpms?
thanks,
-Dan