[NBLUG/talk] Sonic dsl?

Chris White Chris.White at corel.com
Wed Oct 8 15:34:00 PDT 2003

I've had a very good experience with Sonic -- and I've been a customer
since it was run out of Dane's garage!  Their DSL is great.  Good choice
(the only choice?).

As far as wireless gear, I tried at least 5 different brands before I
found one that worked consistently (and didn't have throughput problems
-- you can test that by setting the WEP to 128 bits and trying to stream
a video; some wireless access points couldn't do that!).  I finally
settled on Netgear, because it was the most reliable and crash-proof.
I've upgraded from 802.11b to 11g without a hitch.  My family's Apple
notebooks work seamlessly with the Netgear access point.  Also, I've had
a good experience with the Netgear wireless PC cards (cardbus).  The new
802.11g model has better reception than the old 11b model, and is
completely backwards compatible (natch!).

Hope this helps!

--Chris