[NBLUG/talk] bashed

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Fri Oct 24 14:59:01 PDT 2003

Yeah, the OS distro and version should have been our first question as it
wasn't clear in the initial post and I read it too fast to notice ; ).  Then
I ask myself why?????? would you want to use this piece of crap when you have
abiword and OO....

From googling a bit I found it.

The latest and apparently final WP version for Linux was v. 9, promoted by
Corel as "WordPerfect Office 2000". This FAQ will have little to say about WP
9 for Linux, as it was not a true native port, but rather consisted of Win32
code running in a Winelib environment -- with predictable RAM bloat and
instability, as a result. (Boxed sets only were offered.)

WP 8.0 for Linux was distributed as a dynamically linked ELF binary, linked
against libc5 (C library), libm (the related math library), a set of five X11
libraries for libc5-based software, and ld-linux.so.1.9.* (AKA ld.so 1.9.*),
the dynamic-linker software current on Linux at that time.

Those old libraries are often omitted from current Linux distributions. In
such cases, you need to retrofit those libraries. (You can see the exact
library links by running "ldd" = list library dependencies against the
WordPerfect "xwp" main executable file.)

**Specifically: Prior to running the WP 8.0 installer, you must install
ld-linux.so.1.9.* (usually in an ld.so package), libc of some version from
5.3.12 through 5.4.46, and libm.so.5.* (both usually in the libc5 package),
and a set of X11 backward-compatibility libraries compiled against libc5
(libXt.so.6, libX11.so.6, libXpm.so.4, libSM.so.6, and libICE.so.6).

Don't forget to ensure the libraries' directories are listed in
/etc/ld.so.conf, and then re-run /sbin/ldconfig.  What binary packages these
libs and dynamic loader will occupy differs between distributions. If in
doubt, documents linked from http://linux-sxs.org/utilities/wp_index.html may
give details for your distribution.

1.  Installing the WP8.1-Debian-package from CorelLinux 1.0 or 1.2

      1 Install a Debian base system

      2 Install a printerspooler like magicfilter or apsfilter and choose the
printer you use

      3 Install the windowsmanager of your choice, like the actual KDE2.2.2
from unstable

      4 Do an apt-get install libc5

      5 Do an apt-cdrom cd /cdrom add (and CorelLinux Standard or DeLuxe)

      6 Do an apt-get install type1inst, fonts-16, fonts-69

      7 Do an apt-get install wp-full (from CorelLinux 1.2) or install a
localised version from Corel 1.0 (e.g. Standard edition for Dutch)

      8 Go to /usr/lib/wp8/shbin10 (or the dir you installed wp8) and run
*wpfi (for instance with the Midnight Commander)

      9- Create a desktop-icon. In KDE chose in the right pop-up menu under
the right mouse button 'link to application', chose for instance the fountain
pen as icon. The official WP icons are available in /usr/X11R6/share/icons.
Type under execute the command 'xwp'.

      10 Go to http://olivier.pk.wau.nl/~valentyn/wp8fix/ and install the
Filtrix patch (and first read the readme and install notes carefully)

      Installing WP8 Personal Edition

      1-3 like above

      4. Do an 'apt-get install xlib6 libc5 xpm 4.7' (from 'oldlibs').
Otherwise, if you mount as root the cdrom and type ./install.wp, you get the
complaint: 'can't load libXpm.so.4'

      5. Mount the cdrom as root and cd to the install-directory in a console.
Type ./install and follow the instructions of the graphical installer. (Note:
assign your printer to 'lp'.)

      6. Like point 9 and 10 above.

On Friday 24 October 2003 14:22, Scott Doty wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 02:19:17PM -0700, Dustin Mollo wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 02:11:09PM -0700, Cal Herrmann wrote:
> > > # bash ./setup
> > > ./setup: ./setup: cannot execute binary file
> > >
> > > Same with bash setup
> >
> > what is the output of:
> >
> > "file setup"
> >
> > ??
>
> Indeed, I'll bet it's an old a.out binary or something...
>
> If that is the case, the way to get it to run is to get support for that
> binary format into the kernel.  How to do _that_ depends on which
> distribution you're running...
>
>  -Scott

Mark Street, D.C.
Red Hat Certified Engineer