[NBLUG/talk] IBM Terminal keyboard in Linux?

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Tue Sep 2 10:15:01 PDT 2003

On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 11:25:36PM -0700, Kyle Rankin wrote:
} I came across a kinda cool keyboard this weekend, and I'm wondering what
} kind of Linux support (well really PS/2 motherboard support) I might be
} able to expect, or at least maybe some tips.
}
} The keyboard is an IBM 1394100 122 key terminal keyboard and looks
} identical to this:
}
} http://store.yahoo.com/pckeyboards/122keyterkey.html
}
} It has this connector on the back that resembles an RJ45 with 8 pins.  I
} managed to find the pinout for it here:
}
} http://www.mort.level5.net/johnr/howto/3151key.txt
}
} It seems that there are corresponding pins for PS/2 keyboards:
}
} http://panda.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu/%7Eachapwes/PICmicro/PS2/ps2.htm
}
} I'm just not totally sure, once I wire up the adapter, what kind of signals
} it will throw across the wire.  Does anyone here have any experience with
} these kind of keyboards, and if so, is getting this to work under Linux
} possible?

I don't have any experience with these keyboards, so I couldn't say if
the clock and data signals will be compatible if you make an adapter
(but I would guess it will work).

If the hardware works it should work under linux.  As long as it
generates keycodes you can map the keys however you want with xmodmap.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com