[NBLUG/talk] I'm not spammer

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Thu Sep 4 17:26:01 PDT 2003

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 05:07:35PM -0700, Rob Orsini wrote:
} I have configured a mail server on on domain (call it: example.com) using
} Exim.  I send mail to my yahoo account and it gets tossed in the 'bulk'
} directory by their spam filter.  Below is the full headers from a test
} message. I can get into my exim config file settings but I first want to
} know what about the headers is causing the trouble. Can anyone list any
} reasons this my mail is getting marked as spam?
}
} [64.142.13.100])
} 	by b.mx.sonic.net (8.12.9/8.12.7) with ESMTP id h84NqIOC023852
} 	for <orsini at sonic.net>; Thu, 4 Sep 2003 16:52:18 -0700

Some places will call it spam because of the "adsl-number" in the reverse
DNS.  Some places will call it spam if the reverse DNS doesn't match the
name you give (cypress.orsini.us does not equal
adsl-64-142-13-100.sonic.net).

Many would say this is overly broad filtering, and I would agree, but
that's the way some places are operating.

Sonic will setup reverse DNS for you for a one time fee, so your reverse
DNS could be cypress.orsini.us or orsini.us (orsini.us would be better,
then configure Exim to send the mail without the machine name on the
front).  I don't see the web page in the member tools, you probably need to
call them.  It doesn't matter if you bought orsini.us thru them or somebody
else.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com