[NBLUG/talk] Which backup software?

Dustin Mollo dustin at sonic.net
Fri Sep 5 15:16:00 PDT 2003

On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 10:22:30AM -0700, Eric Eisenhart wrote:
> From my understanding, Veritas has basically two lines: "BackupExec" and
> "NetBackup".  (And all sorts of addons to those and options for which
> machines are doing which pieces, etc.) BackupExec is apparently a real pain
> to deal with for Linux and doesn't run the server on Linux at all.
> NetBackup is very cool, but a lot more expensive, and can run on a totally
> Linux-only environment.

they have to major products - backupexec and netbackup.  however, within the
netbackup family, they have netbackup datacenter (netbackup dc) and
netbackup businessserver.  obviously the dc version is much more expensive
than the bs (hehe) version, however, bs is essentially a striped down
version of dc, so upgrading later is painless, where backupexec is an
entirely different product (though...with newer versions of netbackup, you
can read backupexec tapes.)

i'd never recommend looking at the datacenter version for something as small
as what doug has, though the business server edition might fit well into
what he's looking at.

there are a poop-load of other commercial backup solutions.  a good resource
for anyone new to the backup landscape is www.backupcentral.com.  more info
than you may ever want to know.  here's some of the other backup-related
products i've heard good things about from others, or i know have been
around for a pretty long period of time and would seem to have a good track
record, though have *no* direct experience with:

arkeia			http://www.arkeia.com/
backup express		http://www.syncsort.com/
bru			http://www.tolisgroup.com/
networker		http://www.legaot.com/
omniback		http://www.hp.com/ -- (haven't actually heard
  anything about this, but it was looked at before we decided to go with
  netbackup dc here at ssu - keep in mind that hp is not a major player in
  the backup software arena, though their sales force might try to convince
  you otherwise)
tivoli storage manager	http://www-3.ibm.com/software/tivoli/

-dustin