[NBLUG/talk] Open Source Java applet for HTML editing

Daniel Smith linux2002 at daniel.org
Mon Sep 8 12:59:00 PDT 2003

>What I want is a replacement for the <TextArea> on a Web page that
>has the HTML, Java based editor.  This will be running on a Linux
>server.  The user will then be able to create HTML based emails
>(that is what my client is asking for) and then send the emails to
>all people on the Php emailer I have created using a MySQL DB.

How complex does the HTML need to be?  Or rather, what's
the output you are looking for?  Going to the low-level
of straight HTML entails a lot of risk (tags not balanced,
backslashes not removed, etc.) - it assumes some pretty
sophisticated users.

Have you considered taking Wiki software and having
it generate an email upon submission?  A Wiki is a very
straightforward way to do simple formatting without
getting into a tangle of tags ...  it can also serve
as a searchable repository of emails sent.

http://kwiki.org

Sample site:
http://oscon.kwiki.org/index.cgi?HomePage

Check out: http://kwiki.org/index.cgi?KwikiFormattingRules

NBLUG also has a Wiki @ http://nblug.org/wiki/ - which
is PHP-based, and works fine, but makes uglier
pages than Kwiki.

Daniel

--
Daniel L. Smith - Sonoma County, CA - AIM: SonomaDaniel
daniel.org     blog: JavaJoint.com    resume.daniel.org