[NBLUG/talk] "Capture Applications on screen in X"

Scott Doty scott at sonic.net
Wed Sep 10 08:30:03 PDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 06:09:16AM -0700, Dave Sisley wrote:
> I'm running rh8 and to get a screenshot, I simply press the print screen
> button. I know how univeral this is to other distros (sounds like it
> isn't, looking at the other emails).

Seems this is a function in the window manager -- I'm using AfterStep,
doesn't screenshot with [PrintScrn].  (Wouldn't be hard to set the window
manager to do it, though...)

If you have ImageMagick, the "import" command works splendidly.  While you
can save as a jpeg, I'm not too happy with the way they look from "import"
-- so I save to targa (lossless), then use xv to come up with an acceptable
jpeg.

   $ import snap.tga

If you want a complete screenshot:

   $ import -window root snap.tga

See the man page for other ideas.

And for some screenshots over the years...

   http://www.sonic.net/scott/screenshots.html

The first one, screensh.gif, used olvwm...in 1994!

 -Scott