[NBLUG/talk] SIOCSUFFLAGS: Device or resource busy

ME dugan at passwall.com
Tue Sep 16 08:24:00 PDT 2003

jeff at dreadidread.homelinux.org said:
> This is the message I'm receiving when I do a "ifconfig eth0 up".
>
> My NIC is a Realtek chipset and it's using the correct driver 8139too. I
> googled
> the subject line and found a suggestion to disable the plug n play in
> BIOS. This
> hasn't had an effect.
>
> I've used this box and card before for a different Linux installation and
> it
> worked fine.
>
> The only other thing I can think of is that I dumped a lot of software on
> this
> installation and I seem to remember something being plug and play related
> that I
> installed ( assuming that's the cause ).
>
> Any troubleshooting suggestions would be much appreciated!

Is this a PCMCIA NIC?

You can get this error when trying to down an interface if an application
still has open connections.

You can sometimes get an error like this if the interface is already up

ifup and ifdown are applications / scripts that do many of the tedious
network things for you. Try doing it all by hand:
# ifconfig eth0 down
(now see if it is there:)
# ifconfig | grep eth0
(if you do not see it, that is good news so far.)
# ifconfig eth0 up
(now see if it is in the list)
# ifconfig | grep eth0
(if you see it, then good news)
#### If you use staticly assigned IP Address:
(Find the IP Address that your interface is supposed to use.)
(FInd the Subnet Mask that your interface is supposed to use)
(Replace [SNM] and [IPADD] with your Subnet Mask and IP Address:)
# ifconfig eth0 [IPADD] netmask [SNM]
(Locate the IP address for your Gateway)
(Replace [MYGW] with the IP Address of your gateway:)
# route add default gw [MYGW] eth0
#### If you use DHCP to get network information:
# dhclient eth0
(or if you use pump, then)
# pump -i eth0
(or if you use another dhcp client then try it)
#### Now, if you used staticly assigned IP or DHCP assigned IP, see the
results:
# ifconfig eth0
(Do you see the IP address and Subnet mask included in the list?)
# route -N
(Do you only see on "default route" ?)
(Default route would be the one that starts on the far left with "0.0.0.0"
Example:

Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
0.0.0.0         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0
^^^^^^^
Default route use ^^^^^^^^^ as gateway.

Perhaps if we see where it is failing, we can make more suggestions.

-ME