[NBLUG/talk] Root and SSH questions..

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Thu Sep 18 13:29:01 PDT 2003

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 11:30:57AM -0700, Steve Johnson wrote:
} E Frank Ball wrote:
} >On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 06:19:54PM -0700, Steve Johnson wrote:
} >} Can you disable passwords on a per user basis?  I have a few users that
} >} use my box as a shell server (People I trust) but last time I tried to
} >} make it ssh keys only they couldnt figure out how to get in haha.
} >
} >If the user only logs in remotely, then you can replace his password in
} >the /etc/passwd file with !!.
} >
} >I don't know how to configure ssh to do it.
} >
}
} Eric posted how to do it via SSH, the !! way would break su, which I use
} to become root to do maint on the box at times.

Eric posted how to do it for root.  I thought you were asking about
other random users.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com