[NBLUG/talk] How do I get RH to recognize wireless card?

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Fri Sep 19 10:11:03 PDT 2003

You are getting close.  I downloaded the source and took a peek at the
instructions.  I had something similar with my new Dell 5100 and the NIC
chipset that it came with.  Damn proprietary chipsets!!

Kernel has to recognize/interface with the hardware to utilize it, kernel is
the interface between the rest of the OS and applications that run.  kernel
module is the key.  pcmcia card services allow us to add devices to a running
system thorugh the card bus, we need to tell pcmcia about our card.  Once we
have proper kernel module and pcmcia knows about our card we need to
configure our network interface to the card.

Please, anyone else jump in and clarify, correct or add to my steps.

1.  Download the source from sourceforge.
http://atmelwlandriver.sourceforge.net/

2.  Unpack the source, go into the dir and type;  make config

3.  Answer YES to pcmcia and pcm502rd questions ONLY for the pcmcia drivers.

4.  Check out the .config file that is generated from make config.  Make sure
the line
PCMCIA_DES points to your kernel's module dir like so...

/lib/modules/2.4.20"MYKERNELVERSION"/kernel/drivers/net/wireless
save .config and exit.

5.  Run;   make all
if OK, then run;  make install

compiles and installs drivers.

6.  Now we need to tell pcmcia about our wireless card.
edit /etc/pcmcia/atmel.conf and add a line to the end something like this, you
may have to look at the docs or google around for that card:

Belkin F5D6020u (ver.2) WLAN PC Card
manfid 0x01bf, 0x3302
bind "pcmf502rd"

7.  Now we need a script to define the interface now that we have the proper
module for the hardware and pcmcia is configured to recognize the card and
bring it up... we hope.

From the Docs
---------------------
PCMCIA :
                 - Edit the ATMEL WIRELESS entry in
                   /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts by adding your preferences
                   off channel, essid, encryption etc.
---------------------
you can do this here or in your interface definition.  your choice.

edit /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0 or whatever name you want to
give the interface, I use ifcfg-wlan0... whatever.

DEVICE=wlan0
BOOTPRO=dhcp  put STATIC here if you want to assign a static IP to this
interface
ONBOOT=no  - put YES here if you want it to come up on boot
#  These are pretty much required to keep a bit of security
WIRELESS_MODE=Managed
WIRELESS_ESSID= YOUR SSID NAME
WIRELESS_FREQ= YOUR SSID CHANNEL, Usually 1 or 6 or whatever
WIRELESS_RATE=11M
WIRELESS_ENC_KEY= YOUR 128bit key here.
###

Here is my ifcfg-wlan0 take what you want from it, I have Linksys card prism 3
chipset, I use wlan-ng packages to manage mine, which is slightly different.

DEVICE=wlan0
ONBOOT=no
#BOOTPROTO=dhcp                # change this to static to specify an IP addr
IPADDR=192.168.1.3
GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.1.0
BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
TYPE=Ethernet
USERCTL=yes
#PEERDNS=yes                   # this lets DHCP define the DNS setup

8.  Restart pcmcia service and see if the card comes up

service pcmcia restart

If you hear two high pitch beeps we are good to go, if you hear high and a
low, NO go.  TWO HIGH  Then type

service network restart .....  if you have the interface come up on boot.

If not  ONBOOT=no you can enter

ifup wlan0

Now, run ifconfig and see if the interface is up.

Laugh or cry......

--
Mark Street, D.C.
Red Hat Certified Engineer