[NBLUG/talk] How do I get RH to recognize wireless card?

Jim Bianchi jimbo at sonic.net
Sun Sep 21 13:41:01 PDT 2003

	Hmm, I bought a laptop and also a new Lucent/Orinco Gold wireless
PMCIA card on eBay, got them both, installed RH 8.0, plugged the card into
the PMCIA slot, and after rebooting (once) with the card installed, it was
recognised and the appropriate driver for it (which was included in the RH
installation) was automagically selected. With the card, I got a CD with
drivers and all sorts of weird stuff for various incarnations of Windoze,
DOS, Macs, and Linux on it. I looked at them, but never bothered to copy
any of it, since the driver needed was on the HD already as part of the RH
install procedure..

	My advice (FWIW) is to get a known good supported card, one with
a recognised name (such as Lucent/Orinco), and go with that only. Like I
say, I bought mine new on eBay, and since I had money and wanted a wifi
card, I paid a premium price (big whoop -- $55 including s/h). After I'd
bid on this one, I saw several others -- same card -- selling for less.

--
jimbo at sonic.net       Jim Bianchi   Santa Rosa   California

        Eclectic Garbanzo BBS ** (707) 539-1279 ** 28.8kbps

	Remember Flight 93 -- "Let's roll!"