[NBLUG/talk] Open SSH host config prob

error error at sonic.net
Tue Sep 30 06:02:01 PDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 03:50, ShadowEyez wrote:
> RH 8.0, kernel 2.4.18-14, OpenSsh 3.6.2 complied from binary
> Playing around with OpenSsh, trying to connect to Sonic (the
> shell.sonic.net server).  I can connect normally with the command $
> ssh -l <username> shell.sonic.net and it works, but when I try to
> modify the /etc/ssh/ssh_config (host config file for ssh) the file
> does not seem to take effect.  For instance, I tried a new Host
> declaration to shell.sonic.net, with the User (username) so that I do
> not have to type the user name in every time, but it did not work.
> Even putting this User under the general Host * did not work;
> after typing the command $ ssh shell.sonic.net it prompted me for
> root at shell.sonic.net's password rather than my user name password.  I
> know sonic doesn't accept SSHv2 connections (why not... another topic)
> but has anyone messed around with the /etc/ssh_config file to any
> degree of success?

It seems like you are doing this as root?
It shouldn't matter but it's bad to play as root when connecting out the
the rest of the net at large.

Try creating a normal user (or if you have one already switch to it)

Toss this into your ~/.ssh/config :

Host bolt.sonic.net
User YourUserNameHere
Port 22

That should work, but then again, so should the site wide
/etc/ssh/ssh_config ;-)

--
error <error at sonic.net>