[NBLUG/talk] Automated "apt-get upgrade" problems

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Thu Apr 8 13:17:11 PDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 11:09:56AM -0700, Lincoln Peters wrote:
}
} What is the best way to handle packages that require a dialog, and what
} would I do to handle them in that way?

I run this nightly from cron:

#!/bin/sh
apt-get -q update
apt-get --download-only --assume-yes --show-upgraded --quiet upgrade

The packages required are calculated and downloaded, but not
installed.  Then I get an email and I can see if anything
downloaded and needs installing.  Since the update and the
download is done the actual install goes very quickly.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com