[NBLUG/talk] Linux on Laptops

Bob Blick bblick at sonic.net
Sat Apr 17 20:53:13 PDT 2004

On 17 Apr 2004 at 19:13, Cynthia M. Tracy wrote:

> the Dell Inspirion 1150. I'm curious if anyone has tried Linux on the
> Inspirion 1150... Linux on Laptops only has info on the 1100. Anybody
> know if there's any major differences?

I think the only difference is the processor speed.

I recently got an 1100, and there's a lot of info out there that is not
applicable - if you get one I'd be happy to put together a quick list of the
things I needed to do to ease the linux install. There's very little I had to
do to make it perfect, Suse configured it pretty well by itself.

Basically the machine runs linux great, I think you'll be quite happy with
it. I have it triple-booting with windows xp, windows 98se and linux.
98se doesn't run very well on it, but since I wanted a FAT32 partition to
use as an intermediary between linux and xp, I figured I'd see how it
runs.

However, don't expect super game performance, it's a shared memory
machine so the video, although well supported, is not a gamer's choice.

Cheerful regards,

Bob