[NBLUG/talk] New webserver

Walter Hansen gandalf at sonic.net
Wed Apr 28 17:43:55 PDT 2004

> If you're used to using Redhat GUI tools to configure things, then
> you'll need to figure out the real way to do it, or install webmin.

  I generally administer remotely from a ssh shell. I generally only bring
up xwindows when I'm goofing off at work and want to look busy.

> You'll need to figure out what to do with all the extra time you have
> since keeping a Debian system current requires about 5 minutes a week,
> if that.  Using logcheck to weed out the noise from system logs saves
> time as well.  You do look at your logs, right? :-)

  I've got the log watch from RH but it's kinda annoying. I like them
forwarded to my normal machine for a quick scan of anything important.

> The only RH thing I still kinda miss is chkconfig.

  That will be sorely missed. Not that I really do stuff like that very
often, but I've generally forgotten how to do it by the time I do and I
just go into the scripts in /etc/rc.d/init.d/ and they all remind me to
run chkconfig and there I go.