[NBLUG/talk] Changed Network

Walter Hansen gandalf at sonic.net
Fri Apr 30 12:21:36 PDT 2004

No, both sonic nameservers haven't changed since I've been with them. It
was the nearest router. Apparantly it is programmed to handle DNS itself
and behaves oddly if you try to access an outside DNS site. So you make
the DNS request of the router and the router then passes it on to it's
configured DNS server and back. This is probably a quirk/feature of the
router, but was not apparant. It's also odd that for some calls it worked
and for some calls it didn't. The windows boxes are more of a mystery,
true most of them are configured through DHCP so the DNS server would
automaticly set to the router, but there are a few that have static IPs
and they're all confgiured directly to sonics DNS servers and I've had no
problems with them. I should probably do some testing on them looking for
problems.

This is actually a reson to go with sonic as opposed to comcast, sbc or
someone else. They give you static IPs that don't change unless you want
them to.