Network Config (was Re: [NBLUG/talk] Changed Network)

sms at sonic.net sms at sonic.net
Fri Apr 30 14:24:20 PDT 2004

> I did think of that, but I personally consider sonic themselves to be
> very very reliable and I know they have a better incoming bandwith than
> most of their competitiors. The two lines are BroadLink wireless and
> fast aDSL.

Having one aDSL + one Broadlink is a big step toward redundance.  In
the past 3 years or so, I think I've been unable to connect to Sonic
maybe 15 times... of which 1 was a Sonic error (mostly they were telco
issues, & once I forgot to notify Sonic when I canceled a credit-card
that Sonic was autobilling; only once was an actual _error_ (or hardware
failure) on Sonic's part.).  So if no single carrier can cut you off from
Sonic's service, you've got a bit advantage.

Is the "balancing router" actually balancing?  That is, does it send
traffic from both your 192.168.x.x networks more-or-less-equally over
the wireless & DSL links?

> You also have to consider that these are *simple* inexpenisve routers
> and not cisco 2500s. All the routers were purchased for less than the
> cost of a single cisco router. Yes a single Cisco router could do the
> same job and that was a considered option.

OK.  So you need the functions each sitting on their own router.

At that point, my biggest concern is maintenance/monitoring; it's
a pain if your logs/reports/etc (from 3 routers) are collected on
separate boxes, and/or if you have configs and change-control on
separate boxes.

- Steve S.