[NBLUG/talk] USB automount issues

troy fryman at sonic.net
Mon Aug 2 15:53:52 PDT 2004

On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 03:23:41PM -0700, Kyle Rankin wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 03:03:27PM -0700, troy wrote:
> >
> > Have you seen Kyle's autofs writeup?
> > <http://greenfly.org/tips/autofs.html>
> >
> > Sheesh, as much as I promote that page, you'd think I worked for Kyle!
>
> Heh, the only issue might be that I wrote that page for Linux 2.4 with
> devfs. If you are using 2.6 and/or udev you might have to tweak some of the
> scripts yourself. I haven't had the time to migrate my laptop (the box I
> primarily use hotplug/autofs on) to 2.6 yet so I couldn't tell you offhand
> what changes.

I'm running 2.6.7 built from vanilla kernel.org source now, and the
autofs debian source and it Just Works.  The only thing I had to change
in migrating from 2.4 to 2.6 was to explicitly load the 'autofs4'
module.  Probing for 'autofs' put modprobe in an endless CPU-eating
loop.

-troy (seriously eyeing newegg for some overdue hardware upgrades)