[NBLUG/talk] dd for different size partitions?

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Tue Aug 10 16:06:17 PDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 10, 2004 at 03:59:12PM -0700, sms at sonic.net wrote:

> > Otherwise find piped to cpio is your best bet. I use this method all the
> > time to migrate to newer or other hard drives, and ended up explaining it
> > so often I just wrote it down in my tips section:
>
> Hm.  Is there some reason you prefer   find | cpio   over   dump   (and
> the mated   restore  )?  Basically, this is a "backup/restore" situation,
> and I'm inclined to use the native tools for the job, rather than cobble
> up a solution from other tools.  TIMTOWTDI & all that, but...
>

> - Steve
>   ( Who suspects he's missing something... maybe he didn't read the
>     original request completely enough? )

Dump would work, but dump is filesystem dependent I thought (ie. there's an
xfsdump tool for XFS partitions). You could also use cp -ax, but I've found
that find|cpio method works the best with weird segments of the filesystem
like /dev and friends.

Just a method that's worked well for me for many many filesystem migrations
(to and from software and hardware RAID, to larger and smaller drives,
etc.)

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President