[NBLUG/talk] OpenZaurus and Jeode

troy fryman at sonic.net
Sat Aug 14 12:47:24 PDT 2004

On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 08:33:19AM -0700, Bob Blick wrote:
> On 13 Aug 2004 at 21:46, troy wrote:
>
> You got Opera to work? I guess I just need to be persistent.

Yes, and it was something simple... I had to add a symlink or somesuch.
Arghhh, I guess that's why people take notes of such things.  Try
starting it from the command line, I think that's how I figured it out.
Hmm, I think I may have done a:
ln -s /mnt/ram/opt/QtPalmtop/opera/buttons/ /opt/QtPalmtop/opera/buttons

> It takes an awful lot of trial and error with this thing to get
> anything to work! And the output from the package manager is never
> inspiring - tons of error messages and always ends with "Finished" -
> sometimes a package works, sometimes not.

I don't use the gui package manager -- it's crap.  Instead, I use a
combo of ipkg and ipkg-link from the terminal.  ipkg itself still
has bugs, but at least you can see the output.

Oz was making rapid progress for awhile, and then it switched over to
the open-embedded toolchain and things have pretty much stalled (for the
non-adventurous) since the transition.  Now, the betas of OZ use a newer
libc, so most of the older packages require a compat lib.  I'd love to
have the newer kernel but dealing with libc is a hoop I haven't felt
like jumping through.

In the long run, the transition to OE is a great thing, but it sure has
been a long time with nothing new to play with!

-troy