[NBLUG/talk] hard gentoo problem

ShadowEyez shadoweyez at hotpop.com
Sat Aug 21 12:54:47 PDT 2004

Trying to install x86 Gentoo 2004.2 with stage3, and a custom manual 2.4.26 kernel.  Used the command emerge vanilla-sources' to install the kernel source code through emerge, set up the .config file through make menuconfig finished setting up the install, and rebooted to get the message no kernel init=".  I know from past experience this means there is no initrd image, but gentoo did not create one, and there is no mkinitrd command in gentoo, like in other distros of linux.

So i booted into a fedora install on the same box, mounted the gentoo partition, copied all the 2.4.26 files from the /lib/modules from the gentoo partition to a fedora /lib/modules/2.4.26 directory, and tried a mkinitrd command on fedora
"mkinitrd initrd-2.4.26.img 2.4.26",
copied the initrd image to the /boot on the gentoo, set the grub loader to initialize it, and upon booting into gentoo again I get the same no init error message I got before.

The question is, how do I get the right initrd file for gentoo.  does gentoo have a tool like mkinitrd to generate this image, do I install the 2.4.26 package on fedora and have fedora make the image?  Gentoo is supposed to make the image when one does a auto-config kernel, but the online docs (which where pretty good overall) did not tell how to do this?

Anyone have any ideas?

TIA
ShadowEyez