[NBLUG/talk] Networking quirks

Scott Doty scott at sonic.net
Wed Aug 25 11:07:26 PDT 2004

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 10:33:15AM -0700, Bob Blick wrote:
> > I bet if you try pinging the domain names it will be all
> > screwy.
>
> No, when I ping with a domain name, the first line containing the resolved
> address shows up immediately, but then there's 5-10 seconds until the
> first ping response. That's why this seems weird, it got the ip address
> instantly.

Right, but then ping (which is a newer ping under Linux) does a reverse
lookup.  It appears that, for some reason, your router isn't handling
reverse lookups very well.

I'm not sure, but I suspect the Windows ping (and older ping from BSD) may
not do the reverse lookup.

Performance of "route" vs. "route -n" confirms the problem.  You can further
confirm this in Linux with "ping -n ted.net", and see if that delay doesn't
go away.

 -Scott