[NBLUG/talk] Networking quirks

sms at sonic.net sms at sonic.net
Wed Aug 25 13:20:47 PDT 2004

>> No, when I ping with a domain name, the first line containing the
>> resolved
>> address shows up immediately, but then there's 5-10 seconds until the
>> first ping response. That's why this seems weird, it got the ip address
>> instantly.
>
> Bob,
>
> That is weird. Is there anything in your system's logs, or in the
> router's logs?

As others have already noted, this simply *REEKS* of a DNS / Nameservice
issue.  The fact that you can "solve" it with nameserver settings more
or less confirms that.  As mentioned, using "no name-lookup" options may
also be revealing.

Do you have a packet sniffer?  I'd try one or both of the following,
depending on the resources you've got:

 * sniff the transactions (e.g. traceroute, nslookup/dig, etc).
 * open simultaneous commandline windows on your "problem" box
   and the router (if it supports commandline; the essential feature
   is to get realtime logging), and watch the traffic in/out of
   the ports, as you issue the commands

- Steve S.