[NBLUG/talk] Installing Fedora from HD

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 4 14:04:19 PST 2004

On Sat, 2004-12-04 at 13:22, Todd Cary wrote:
> I have downloaded the iso files and made the CD's, however, I would like
> to put the install on a HD in my network and do the install from that HD
> over the network.  Since I have never done this, I am not sure what to
> put on a network drive (on another Linux server).
>
> Can this be done?

There should be an option that allows you to to install over a network
(using NFS, FTP, or HTTP).  I used it a few years ago to install Red Hat
Linux on several used computers, but the exact procedure has probably
changed since then.

Look for an image of a boot floppy with a name like "bootnet.img".  If I
remember correctly, this works like the "boot.img" floppy that allows
you to install on a computer that cannot boot from a CD, except that it
runs the installer over a network.  When I did it, it would try to
configure the NIC (prompting for the appropriate kernel module, if it
can't auto-configure it), ask how to connect to the network (it supports
DHCP as well), ask for the protocol, hostname, and path of the server
with the installation data, and from that point forward it acted just
like any other Red Hat Linux installation process.

---
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

* Culus thinks we should go to trade shows and see how many people we
  can kill by throwing debian cds at them